Tuesday 24 April 2018

写真で英語の文法と単語うを習う # 9 - Sourdough starter

Welcome to the Make Sense blog. What we're going to do here is learn English vocab through photos, taken by myself in the beginning, or with submissions from you beautiful people out there.

I will explain the photo, then break down my explanation in English and Japanese. If you have any questions, please ask. I have also included the phonetics to help pronunciation.

Here we go....

This is my sourdough starter. Sourdough is a type of bread made without using yeast. Well it does use yeast, but not the kind you find in a shop.
This is how I made what you can see in the photo'
1.  First I boiled  a potato until it was cooked through.
2. Then I poured the water off into a seperate container, and mashed the potato.
3. After that, I poured the water back in, and added a teaspoon of sugar, a teaspoon of salt.
4. Finally, I covered it with a bit of natural cloth and let the fermentation begin.
Instead of using out of a packet, the sourdough starter is created with natural yeast.
Yeast is abundant in nature, found in the air, on one's hands, and in this case, in potatoes. 
In a couple of days I can use it to make a loaf of bread. 

単語

sourdough (/ˈsaʊədəʊ//), noun: leaven for making bread, consisting of fermenting dough, originally that left over from a previous baking.
日本語: サワードウ,  サワー種


yeast(/jiːst/), noun: a microscopic fungus consisting of single oval cells that reproduce by budding, and capable of converting sugar into alcohol and carbon dioxide
 日本語:酵母

fermentation(/fəːmɛnˈteɪʃ(ə)n/), noun: the chemical breakdown of a substance by bacteria, yeasts, or other microorganisms, typically involving effervescence and the giving off of heat
 日本語: 発酵hi

abundant(/əˈbʌnd(ə)nt/), adjective: existing or available in large quantities; plentiful
日本語:豊か, 潤沢

文法 
Making lists

To make lists, it's good to use sequence markers, like First, next, then, after that, and finally.
It helps the instructions flow, and is easy for the reader to follow.
In 日本語, think まず、最初、そして、それから、and 最後


No comments:

Post a Comment