Thursday 19 April 2018

写真で英語の文法と単語うを習う # 7 - Open Hamburger

Welcome to the Make Sense blog. What we're going to do here is learn English vocab through photos, taken by myself in the beginning, or with submissions from you beautiful people out there.

I will explain the photo, then break down my explanation in English and Japanese. If you have any questions, please ask. I have also included the phonetics to help pronunciation.

Here we go....

 This is an open hamburger. It is like a normal hamburger, but the second bun is adjacent to the first bun, with all the insides proudly displayed. I don't really know what  it's about, except maybe that you can see all the ingredients. It was tip top too. Especially with that lovely beetroot. A lovely fried egg, onion, with wedges to complement it.

I eat hamburgers. I love hamburgers. I am not eating many hamburgers right now as I am training for a marathon. I try to run every day, but I am not running this morning as I don't have time. I will run tonight. I have a lot of time on Mondays at the moment, as I haven't started work at the local elementary school yet this year. I usually teach there every week, but I am not teaching there at the moment. Maybe I will start in two weeks time.

 

単語


adjacent(/əˈdʒeɪs(ə)nt/), adjective: next to or adjoining something else
日本語:隣接



proudly(/ˈpraʊdli/), adverb: in an imposing manner; splendidly
 日本語:得々

ingredient (/ɪnˈɡriːdɪənt/) , noun: any of the foods or substances that are combined to make a particular dish
 日本語: 食材, 成分

tip top (/tɪpˈtɒp/), adjective: of the very best class or quality; excellent
日本語:超一流

complement (/ˈkɒmplɪm(ə)nt//), noun a thing that contributes extra features to something else in such a way as to improve or emphasize its quality
日本語:補足
I'm not sure about this translation. To complement means like chocolate sauce complements icecream, or edamame complement beer. The two things both have x goodness, but when the x and x are added, they add to more than 2x.
 

文法 

現在形 and 現在進行形

You can see in the text the different forms of the verb: eat/eating, run/running, teach/teaching.

The last two lessons I did showed that the 現在形 showed a fact, or a habit; while the 現在進行形 shows that the verb is either happening right now, or around now. It has started, but not finished yet. (ずっと)

I am eat hamburgers. That is a 事実. Who doesn't everyone loves hamburgers.  
I am not eating a hamburger right now. I am sitting at my desk writing this blog post.

I run. I don't want to be fat. I have to run a marathon in a month. 事実です。 I run. Do you run? 
I am not running right now. I am sitting at my desk writing this blog post.

I teach. 事実です。I am a teacher, so I teach. Obviously. 
I am teaching right now. (ずっと). I am sitting at my desk, writing this post, teaching you the difference between 現在形 and 現在進行形。

Pop over to the nice folk at Language on Schools for a more indepth explanation. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment