Tuesday 17 April 2018

写真で英語の文法と単語うを習う #5 - My vege garden



Welcome to the Make Sense blog. What we're going to do here is learn English vocab through photos, taken by myself in the beginning, or with submissions from you beautiful people out there.

I will explain the photo, then break down my explanation in English and Japanese. If you have any questions, please ask. I have also included the phonetics to help pronunciation.

Here we go....


This is our vege garden. It looks pretty desolate at the moment, but that is because it is the end of a long, cold winter. You can still see some snow in the background of the photo.
All the rows in the garden run from left to right, but on the left hand side, there is one row running perpindicular to the others. That's where my aspargus is planted. It has been in there for three years, so this year may be the year we can start eating them.
This summer may be good, or it may be bad for gardening. No-one knows. What will we plant? We will plant potatoes, beetroot, onions, kumura, and coriander. We might plant corn, and we may plant pumpkin. We haven't decided yet.

単語


vege (/ˈvɛdʒi/), noun: a vegetable
Google Translate says this is New Zealand English, but I'm pretty sure it's just a word shortened.
日本語:野菜

 
desolate (/ˈdɛs(ə)lət/), adjective: (of a place) uninhabited and giving an impression of bleak emptiness.
日本語:寂しい, 荒涼, 蕭寥 

run (/rʌn/), verb: extend or cause to extend in a particular direction
日本語:沿う (not sure about this translation.)

perpindicular (/ˌpəːp(ə)nˈdɪkjʊlə) , adjective: at an angle of 90° to a given line, plane, or surface or to the ground.
日本語: 直角

kumura (/ˈkuːmərə), noun: a convolvulaceous twining plant, Ipomoea batatas , of tropical America, cultivated in the tropics for its edible fleshy  yellow root
日本語:さつま芋

coriander (/ˌkɒrɪˈandə/), noun: an aromatic Mediterranean plant of the parsley family, the leaves and seeds of which are used as culinary herb
日本語:コリアンダー、 パクチー
 

文法 

may vs might

May is used to talk about what is possible (可能), a fact (事実), or something that may be a fact (事実かも).
Have a look at these:

He may buy a new car.
We may go to Hawaii for a business trip. 
I may have a cigar this evening.

These things may happen. They may not happen. But by using 'may', you are saying there is a pretty decent chance of it happening.

I might buy a new car if I get a new job.
I might have retired already if I have of invested in Apple.
I might go to the baseball if I have time. 

These things are imagined either in the future or the past. They also depend on something else happening.  They are less likely to happen than things which 'may ' happen.

Final point - mightはmayの過去形です。

I may have a beer with the boys tonight. (未来形)
I might have had a beer tonight if I hadn't had to work overtime. (過去形)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment